Friday 27 April 2012

In the Kitchen

Our new temporary apartment has an oven! Most people might not get excited about an oven, but our last temporary rental did not have one, and I didn't realize how much I'd miss having one. So the first thing I did when we moved into this apartment was pick out a few things to cook. I'm still making things from La Tartine Gourmande and still very happy with everything I've made. Although I didn't need an oven to make the soup above, I did need a food processer or blender, and there's an immersion blender here, unlike the last place we were in. I've had my eye on that soup for weeks! It's carrot, red lentil soup with coconut milk, lime and cilantro. It also has cumin, red onions, tomato, and garlic, just to name a few tasty ingredients. It is sooo good. I also made a chocolate, almond, plum cake. Below it was cooking in the oven. The recipe calls for amaranth flour but I couldn't find any, so I used rice flour and it turned out great. 
I'm heading out to look at apartments today, but when I get back I'm going to make brown butter, pistachio financiers (little cakes), also from La Tartine Gourmande. 

3 comments:

marilu said...

I could only find the brown rice flour and tried both the poppy seed crepes and chocolate plum cake. Taste is quite strong though, probably better with the white rice flour?

Miranda said...

Could you share the soup and cake recipes, please?

Carla said...

I understand the excitment about the oven. I made several trips in my life, and there were many times where I had to sleep in flats that had no oven or fridge. Last year, I travelled to Buenos Aires and rented a place with this company called 4rent Argentina. I asked them beforehand: "Do the apartments you rent have ovens?" And the lady on the phone was shocked: "What do you mean have ovens? Of course they have them!!" She was surprised since apparently, there are no apartments in Argentina that don´t have an oven. They put them in the places from the beginning, in the construction stage!